The Wii Network
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Do you think Earthbound will be made available on the Virtual Console?

5 posters

Go down

Do you think Earthbound will be made available on the Virtual Console? Empty Do you think Earthbound will be made available on the Virtual Console?

Post by Super Smash Bros. Fan Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:55 pm

When it comes to discussing if a game will come to the Virtual Console, Earthbound has been the most controversial one. However, in this thread, we'll debate to see if we think we'll see Earthbound on the Virtual Console.

I think it's relatively highly likely, but not guaranteen. Earthbound is rumored to be under massive legal issues that could prevent an Virtual Console release. Most people take this as fact and as a result, believe the game will never come. I disagree, but I can see why they're worried.

However, I think it's more likely then not that we'll see it because of these reasons:
1. It's an Nintendo franchise. They can do what they please with the franchise, even without Itoi.
2. Ness is in all three Super Smash Bros. game. So by this, Nintendo would at least want to get the original game on the VC to capitalize on his recently-gained popularity and will take risks to do so.
3. It is the very most requested game for the Wii's Virtual Console. People have been asking for this game in massive quanities for the past five years. Nintendo can't just ignore the game.
4. The game is very expensive. Not many people are going to be willing to fork over $50 for an old SNES game, let alone $200. Releasing it on the Virtual Console can help drive down the prices immediately and benefit everyone.
5. Satoru Iwata promised this game would be made available on the Virtual Console at Nintendo's E3 2005. They probably meant all regions, because they knew they have an neglected fanbase to pay back to.

What are your thoughts about the Earthbound on Virtual Console debacle?
Super Smash Bros. Fan
Super Smash Bros. Fan
Nintendo DS
Nintendo DS

Back to top Go down

Do you think Earthbound will be made available on the Virtual Console? Empty Re: Do you think Earthbound will be made available on the Virtual Console?

Post by Esnel Pla Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:54 pm

Nope.

http://earthboundcentral.com/2009/02/earthbound-legal-issues/

Esnel Pla
GameBoy
GameBoy

Back to top Go down

Do you think Earthbound will be made available on the Virtual Console? Empty Re: Do you think Earthbound will be made available on the Virtual Console?

Post by Darrien Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:15 pm

i love earthbound!! But sadly no Sad their are some legal issues but , you can get it on your wii with homebrew Very Happy
Darrien
Darrien
GameCube
GameCube

https://www.youtube.com/user/DarrienPeterson

Back to top Go down

Post by darkwingdragon709 Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:43 pm

Esnel Pla wrote:Nope.

http://earthboundcentral.com/2009/02/earthbound-legal-issues/
......holy CRAP. i didn't know so much was involved. i never had the privilege to play earthbound, and it looks like i won't get to anytime soon.

darkwingdragon709
NES
NES

Back to top Go down

Post by Super Smash Bros. Fan Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:02 pm

Remember, the legal issues have not been confirmed by Nintendo, just an highly believeable rumor for Starmen.net. Just letting you guys know.

And about the legal issues, I think I might have come up with an good theory. I think Nintendo might have known of the potential legal issues surrounding the game since before announcing Earthbound on the Virtual Console at E3 2005. I think they knew that legal issues were present. For all we know, Nintendo of America might have asked to change the music just after they came up with the Virtual Console to Nintendo of Japan and they declined then. Then soon after, they realize that it would not be an good idea because that would still be basically screwing over there fans even if they could alter the music to avoid legal issues. So they probably decided to start fixing what they knew would be difficult to do, fixing legal issues so Earthbound can be released on the Virtual Console unaltered and without fears of massive lawsuits. If so, then they might have solved it by now, just are unwilling to tell us. Maybe because of the ESRB rating signal that they solved legal issues. Apprently, some dedicated Earthbound fan at Starmen.net found reports on Nintendo of Japan deniding that request for NOA to change music for Earthbound and was heartbroken, so he wanted to let Starmen.net know and that's why we have a rumor that the game will not be on the Virtual Console. And if Nintendo has already solved legal issues, then why didn't they release it sometimes in 2008? Well, it could be because they might be wanting to translate the game so Europeans can also enjoy it. Maybe that's why it's taking so long to get the game released.

Also, the article is old, almost a year old in fact, so things might have changed.
Super Smash Bros. Fan
Super Smash Bros. Fan
Nintendo DS
Nintendo DS

Back to top Go down

Post by Darrien Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:22 pm

why is this locked???
*unlocking
Darrien
Darrien
GameCube
GameCube

https://www.youtube.com/user/DarrienPeterson

Back to top Go down

Post by NoelX2 Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:49 pm

I want Earthbound so bad.
NoelX2
NoelX2
Nintendo DS
Nintendo DS

Back to top Go down

Post by Super Smash Bros. Fan Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:01 pm

Here is the full edition of my view on the situation: http://ssbfanblog.blogspot.com/2010/02/regarding-earthbound-on-virtual-console.html

Might be an interesting read.
Super Smash Bros. Fan
Super Smash Bros. Fan
Nintendo DS
Nintendo DS

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down