The Wii Network
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PS3 benefiting from Wii Publisher Backlash

+5
FaytSaratome
sikokiller
SoaringDive
lil boy blue 300
Godwind
9 posters

Go down

PS3 benefiting from Wii Publisher Backlash Empty PS3 benefiting from Wii Publisher Backlash

Post by Godwind Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:59 pm

Over the last several months, it seems that more and more publishers have publicly reconsidered their stance on how to support the Wii. Mature games and core games in general just haven't been putting up the kind of sales numbers to justify the investments. Analysts have talked about the struggle of core games on Wii, and publishers like THQ, EA, Sega, Capcom, and Ubisoft have all discussed how weaker Wii sales of core games have affected their respective strategies. Meanwhile, Nintendo's own first-party products are dominating the software charts, leaving little room for third parties to benefit.

As publishers reallocate resources, you'd expect both Xbox 360 and PS3 to prosper. In our recent interview with Rob Dyer, SCEA Senior Vice President of Publisher Relations, we asked Sony about this very situation. Has the Wii backlash led to more PS3 support? Dyer certainly thinks so.

"What publishers have said is they're not going to spend the resources on Wii... In my job, we compete against Microsoft and Nintendo, and we're competing for resources. So when I walk into a publisher, I ask, 'Where are you guys pushing your resources?' In the past, it was 'Look how hot the Wii is,' or 'Look how hot the DS is,' and 'We should put resources there.' They did that and realized, 'You know what, third-party product just doesn't sell on that platform.' So now they're taking those resources, coming back to us and saying, 'Sony we're going to be able to provide you with that exclusive content,' or 'We're going to put more engineers on it and figure out to maximize the Blu-ray and get more out of PS3.' That's what we're seeing now," he stated.

Dyer continued, "And I don't even have to fight for their hearts and minds; I just show them the TRST data with regards to how many top 10 titles are third-party titles on the Wii, or how many top 10 titles are third-party titles on the DS. Not many. It's not a hard story to sell, and they get that. Unless they've got a particular franchise that's worked well on the Wii, you don't see a lot of innovative new IP coming out on that platform.”

Quite frankly, we feel this is a real problem for Nintendo. Even if what Dyer is saying is viewed as more "Sony PR," that doesn't eliminate the fact that third parties are still experiencing difficulties on Wii after four full holiday seasons on the market. Nintendo should be working on its own publisher relations, and we'd love to hear from them on this subject, but so far Nintendo has been quite resistant to inquiries from IndustryGamers. It's like the company is an ostrich with its head stuck in a hole in the ground - get out there and be pro-active Nintendo!

Sneaky bastards, the Sony executives are just jealous.

Anyways source.
http://www.industrygamers.com/news/ps3-benefiting-from-wii-publisher-backlash/

Godwind
NES
NES

Back to top Go down

PS3 benefiting from Wii Publisher Backlash Empty Re: PS3 benefiting from Wii Publisher Backlash

Post by lil boy blue 300 Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:42 pm

just what P.M.K said the industry is just babying Sony. look at Bayonetta and Darksiders here's the video