The Wii Network
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Metroid Prime 3: Corruption Review (Trilogy Review coming later)

+2
LastRambo341
ElkinFencer10
6 posters

Go down

Metroid Prime 3: Corruption Review (Trilogy Review coming later) Empty Metroid Prime 3: Corruption Review (Trilogy Review coming later)

Post by Guest Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:10 am

I admit, I haven't heard of the Meroid Universe and Samus Aran until Super Smash Brothers for the N64. (I knew Samus Aran was female back then and now). I wasn't interested in playing any Metroid game because I was a huge Mario fan back in my day, and all I wanted were Mario and Star Wars games for the GC.

Metroid Prime 3: Corruption was the first game to actually introduce me to the Metroid Universe, even though it was the final game of the Trilogy (the first two Primes were for the GC). When Reggie Fils-Aime stated that "you'll never want to go back to playing an FPS with dual-analog sticks again," that line immediately grabbed my attention. Compared with Wii FPSs already out like Red Steel and COD3, Corruption was going to be the "spark" of future Wii FPS creation. And what a "spark" it was...

Controls 10/10: Seeing as I haven't played the first GC games, from what I've read from reviews, Corruption's controls were a huge improvement over the controls of the previous GC games. I've been playing dual-analog FPSs for a long time, and I must say the Wii FPS controls don't lie. They definitely give you the sense of realism as if you were actually holding a gun using the WiiMote and tossing your grapple with the Nunchuck. The aiming and lock-on are pretty good too. Dual-Analogs will definitely not grant you that sense that Corruption has. (I mean really, in an actual war, you wouldn't be pressing a second trigger button to throw a grenade; you would be using your arm and hand!)

There's even a small level of customization you can use so you can get comfortable with these already awesome controls. The one gripe is that why would the game's default be the A button, and not the B button since the B button is the "real" trigger button to use? But that problem is nothing to worry about seeing as how you can switch the actions of the A and B buttons around.

Gameplay 9/10: This is definitely not your typical "one man saving the entire universe/human race from an alien being" or "a WWII shooter" or a "Zombie shooter." Corruption's gameplay is far from that. Yes, you do shoot an alien race called the Space Pirates, but unlike a typical FPS, the action is not fast-paced; the game is non-linear, which focuses more on exploration than shooting; you will not see an enemy all the time in every room; the game is more puzzle-based; and you actually have to figure out where the enemy's weaknesses are rather than spraying bullets into its chest. Oh, and there are boss battles. On Normal and Vetern, bosses seem easy, but on Hypermode, which you need to unlock first, you actually have to spend your time dodging enemies' attacks and figure out the attack pattern involved. There are also unlockables, and Friend Vouchers which you can trade online for Friend Creddits to unlock more cool stuff like bumper stickers and Mii Bobbleheads. All in all, the gameplay is sweet.

The only gripe I have about this is that enemies respawn in the same room over and over again, and it gets tiresome to having to shoot your way through them. (The same happens in Zelda games). If you can, just ignore them unless you want Credits. I wish Nintendo would stop implementing that in their crown-jeweled games.

Sound 9/10: It's interesting to listen to the creepy music in this game, but it will get tiresome after hearing the same music repeating itself over and over again. Thankfully, you can turn the Music Volume down in the Options Menu. The voice acting is very well done as this is the first Metroid game to have it. Note: Samus Aran only grunts and does not talk in all three Prime games. (In Metroid: Other M and Super Smash Brothers Brawl, she does though.)

Story 10/10: I will not spoil anything. Like I said, this is not your typical dual-analog FPS. If you haven't heard of the Metroid Universe or played any Metroid game (not counting SSB), this is actually a great way to start getting into it like me, even if it is the final game of the Trilogy. The characters, plot, and suspense are very well done.

Graphics 9/10: This is a beautiful looking game, utilizing the full potential of the Wii. Retro Studios, the creator of the Metroid Prime series, did a great job in creating a creepy, or peaceful, looking atmosphere. The framerate is a flawless 60 frames-per-second, the animation is flawless, the textures are flawless, Samus Aran is sexy. Some may say this game is more-cartoonish, but I say who cares.

There is a major gripe about loading times between rooms. Most of the time when you walk up to a door and shoot it, you would expect it to open right away. Most of the time, that's not the case, forcing you to either wait, go back from where you came from and then try again, or shoot it multiple times. Sometimes for me, all I did was not look at the door, and it would magically open as if it was teasing me. (Trilogy has improved this, but that's another story.) But you'll get used to it...I hope.

Overall 10/10: If you're a Metroid fan, or new to Metroid (like me), I suggest buying this game. Fans would want this in their collection, and this game is great for starters. Replayability is a must as there are tons of unlockable and Credits to exchange online for more unlockables. There is no muliplayer like Prime Echoes had, but I'd say that was a good move for Retro Studios seeing as how multiplayer in Echoes was viewed more as an afterthought than a neccessity. I would take Story over Multiplayer anyday! Very Happy

I loved this game so much, that I bought the Metroid Prime Trilogy (reviewing later once I finish it), and I'm more into the Metroid Universe than I was before. I can't wait for Metroid: Other M! Very Happy

Oh, and there are NO FRIEND CODES in this game! Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Metroid Prime 3: Corruption Review (Trilogy Review coming later) Empty Re: Metroid Prime 3: Corruption Review (Trilogy Review coming later)

Post by ElkinFencer10 Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:12 pm

I haven't played Corruption yet (I bought Trilogy and am trying to play through the games in order), but from what I've seen of it with my friends, I'd have to agree; the graphics and sound are definitely good, and the controls look fluid. I was like you in that I'd never heard of Samus before SSMN64; the only Metroid games I have are the original NES game and Trilogy (though I'm hoping to get Super Metroid soon).
ElkinFencer10
ElkinFencer10
Nintendo DS
Nintendo DS

http://elkinfencer10.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Metroid Prime 3: Corruption Review (Trilogy Review coming later) Empty Re: Metroid Prime 3: Corruption Review (Trilogy Review coming later)

Post by Guest Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:11 pm

ElkinFencer10 wrote:I haven't played Corruption yet (I bought Trilogy and am trying to play through the games in order), but from what I've seen of it with my friends, I'd have to agree; the graphics and sound are definitely good, and the controls look fluid. I was like you in that I'd never heard of Samus before SSMN64; the only Metroid games I have are the original NES game and Trilogy (though I'm hoping to get Super Metroid soon).

Well, since Nintendo gave us back 500 Wii points for those who paid it for the Internet Channel, we get to choose to download a Virtual Console title for free. Not sure if it applies to those who bought the Channel before it was 500 points when it was free the first time. You may get your chance to download the Super Metroid inthe Virtual console by the end of October. Not really sure though.

Back to top Go down

Post by LastRambo341 Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:45 pm

Amazing , loved Metroid Prime 3. But now, I'm playing the Trilogy xD
LastRambo341
LastRambo341
GameBoy
GameBoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Godwind Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:45 pm

Jaques7Chef wrote:
ElkinFencer10 wrote:I haven't played Corruption yet (I bought Trilogy and am trying to play through the games in order), but from what I've seen of it with my friends, I'd have to agree; the graphics and sound are definitely good, and the controls look fluid. I was like you in that I'd never heard of Samus before SSMN64; the only Metroid games I have are the original NES game and Trilogy (though I'm hoping to get Super Metroid soon).

Well, since Nintendo gave us back 500 Wii points for those who paid it for the Internet Channel, we get to choose to download a Virtual Console title for free. Not sure if it applies to those who bought the Channel before it was 500 points when it was free the first time. You may get your chance to download the Super Metroid inthe Virtual console by the end of October. Not really sure though.

They are allowing to buy only NES virtual console games.

http://www.nintendo.com/wii/channels/internetchannel

If you have previously used 500 Wii Points to download the Internet Channel, at the end of October we will be offering you the opportunity to download, at no cost, one NES game of your choice (valued at 500 Wii Points) from the Virtual Console catalog. Details of this download offer will be provided via the Wii Message Board and on Nintendo.com soon.

Godwind
NES
NES

Back to top Go down

Post by snaredrums123 Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:04 am

I just finished echoes (in trilogy for the first time)

I've never played a "Troid" game so when I got trilogy I didn't know what to expect. I was shocked and extremly pleased by how good metroid prime was and now I'm on Corruption. Prime 1 is so far my favorite. One of the best games I've played in a long time.
snaredrums123
snaredrums123
N64
N64

Back to top Go down

Post by Jade789119 Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:46 am

yea i got trillogy and im still on the first its a nice long game as well. i love the game just hard to follow the storry untill a started reading the scans
Jade789119
Jade789119
Next Gen
Next Gen

Back to top Go down

Post by nintendorocks Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:30 am

im getting trilogy for my birthday Smile
nintendorocks
nintendorocks
NES
NES

Back to top Go down

Post by Jade789119 Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:34 pm

nintendorocks wrote:im getting trilogy for my birthday Smile

have fun Razz ive never played and metriod b4 so i still on the first but its actually much better then i thought
Jade789119
Jade789119
Next Gen
Next Gen

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down