The Wii Network
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Metroid Prime Trilogy Review (WARNING: Long Review)

+3
LastRambo341
Jade789119
Permafry_42
7 posters

Go down

Metroid Prime Trilogy Review (WARNING: Long Review) Empty Metroid Prime Trilogy Review (WARNING: Long Review)

Post by Guest Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:24 pm

I promised you guys the next review would be Metroid Prime Trilogy, and here it is. WARNING: abnormally VERY LONG review coming, so be prepared for A LOT of text writing.

After experiencing the fantastic masterpiece of Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, I always wanted to know what happened in the first 2 Prime games. The problem was, I couldn't bring myself to buy the previous installments which were GameCube games because I wanted to stay with the current console, and its current games which was the Nintendo Wii of course, but this could be justified as the Wii plays GC games, but they would not have the motion control as Corruption does. I'm not saying I hated the GC because I myself owned one back then, and I still have a few GC games in my entire game collection that I still play on my Wii. I just wanted to experience the last 2 installments with the same sense of realistic controls like I had with Corruption because, like I've said in the MP3:C review, dual-analogs don't provide the same sense of realism in controls as the motion controls do.

My head was rattling with this thought of either buying 2 cheap last-gen games so I could play with them on my Wii, or just deal with Corruption and wait until the next new Metroid game comes out. Fortunately, the pain was over when Nintendo announced Metroid Prime Trilogy, a collection of all three Prime games with the first two being added with motion control. I was jumping for joy as my brain was thinking, "Yes! Now the first two games will be given the quality like the third had!" Of course, it would mean buying Corruption again, but if you're new to the Metroid franchise and haven't played the first two Prime games (like me), or haven't played any at all, this is one package you'll definitely want to invest in. For those Metroid Fans who have already played all three separately, I can't really tell you how it might, or might not, be worth you buck again, because I haven't played the GC games, and I have only played Corruption. Whether or not for you Metroid Fans would want to buy the games again all in one package, it really depends on what YOU decide alone, not me or anyone else (which includes reviewers).

Trilogy's focus, of course, is to bring the first 2 games up to the same quality as the third game with features from the original Corruption such as customizable motion control, Mii intergration, credit rewards, unlockables, reworked HUD, 3 difficulty settings ("Normal" is the new "Easy" mode in the first 2 games), and improved textures such as bloom lighting. For the whole Trilogy itself there are faster loading times, updated sound effects, more balanced bosses, and reworked menus. As some added bonuses the entire collection has Widescreen support, the graphics are bumped up to a full 480p, Metroid Prime 2 Echoes' Multiplayer has returned with Wii controls, and this package contains an art booklet detailing the events of all three games. You'll be happy to know that the art booklet is NOT limited edition, unlike The Conduit's.

Now before I start this review, I'm saying right now that I'm not going to compare the package to their original counterparts. I'm not going to compare Wii Prime 1 to GC Prime 1, for example, because I don't have the GC counterparts, nor have I played them. The only exception to this rule, for me that is, is Corruption because I have, and played, both the original and the new Trilogy Corruption. I'm going compare the games to each other since they're all in one package (Wii Prime 1 vs. Wii Prime 2 vs. Wii Prime 3, for example), by using a ranking order, the top being the best of the three. Some parts of each game may be equal to each other which means that their rank is the same.

Now, enough of me babbling, let's get on with the review:

Controls Overall 10/10. All 3 games have the same level of control customization as Corruption, but it does not carry over to Multiplayer, sadly. Sad

1. Corruption 10/10: Compared to the new and improved controls of the first two games, Corruption is still the top in controls as it first introduced the Metroid Prime series to a new sense of realism controls-wise. Compared to the Original Corruption, the aiming is still flawless, and the left hand gestures and lock-on have slightly improved, though many might not notice a difference.

2. Prime 10/10: Again, I can't compare the dual-analog counterparts because I haven't played them, but what I can say is from what I heard from IGN, and other game sites, that many people have been arguing that the new controls have been a big improvement over the GC verisons and vice-versa. It really depends on which version YOU decide on. As I've been saying before, realistic-wise motion controls win over dual analogs from my experience with FPSs. Compared to controls of the games in the whole Trilogy, Prime 1 is the second best because the controls actually feel more fluid and easier to control than Prime 2's.

3. Echoes 8/10: Echoes' motion controls feel a tiny bit more sluggish than the other games, and for the lock-on, it was actually a bit harder to target something. I noticed that my Z button, on all of my Nunchucks, was actually not responding very often when I was looking across the map for the shortest route, and I had to hold it down really hard in order for it to respond. Other than those gripes, it still provides the realistic feeling overall.

Gameplay Overall 8/10.

1. Corruption 9/10: Apart from the gripe about the enemies respawining again each time you re-enter a room, it's still the same game, nonetheless, but why is it on top? Because the items you find in the game you actually gain overtime, instead of losing them in the beginning and having to find them again like in the first two games. Ironically though, the items you gain are mostly the same items you've had to retrieve back for the past 2 games (Screw Attack from Echoes, Ice Missiles from Prime). Even more ironic is that there's no level at which you lost the items in the first place. (You lost your double jump in Echoes, but it stays in Corruption through the entire game; you lost and retrieved Screw Attack in Echoes, but you somehow lost and gained Screw Attack again in Corruption?) A noticable difference from the original is that the bosses have been toned down to a much easier level. As for rewards, they are still the same, but this time, some have already been unlocked for you. If you were thinking that your orignal Corruption save file would transfer over to this version, that is not going to be the case, because the US Trilogy verison is actually the PAL version, and not the orignal US NTSC version of Corruption. You will have to start over from the beginning again, which means you'll have to scan everything again. There is one extra scan to be found in the US Trilogy version and not the original US NTSC Corruption version.

2. Prime 8/10: Again, the major gripe I have are the respawning enemies, which get annoying each time you enter a room. But another major gripe is that bactracking is more emphasized in this game rather than the other two. Imagine having to WALK all the way across the map just to get an expansion or something, and then having to go all the way back to place you originally came from. And with all your items gone, it seems satisfying and relieving enough to see them back on your suit again, but it doesn't feel rewarding. You're just wasting time going back and forth across huge maps getting back the same items you used in the very first level. Speaking of rewards, there's no reward credit for creating special-stylizing kills for defeating enemies, or finding hidden secrets like Corruption does in either Prime 1 or 2, but at least that means you don't have to trade more with your friends online. However, the rewards you get are actually much easier to achieve than in Corruption, making the challenges feel less accomplishing than they seem to be. For the overall gameplay these seem more like minor gripes than major, and you're right. Remember this is only my first time completing the game, as I haven't fully completed it 100% (as in find all the items and endings). I might get used them it down the road like I did with Corruption. There's no reason for me not to with the other games.

3. Echoes 8/10: If you thought the enemies were annoying in 1 & 3, just wait until you've played this game. The enemy A.I. is by far the most unforgiving of all in this game, especially with the boss battles. Most people arguably say that Echoes is the hardest out of the three, and they are right. Even on "Normal", the easiest difficulty in the Trilogy, these guys won't stop to let their guard down for you to swing a punch at. They'll move fast and furious, with attacks from every angle. Don't get me started on the second-to-last boss; I didn't know what the heck was going on. Again, like in Prime, the rewards feel less accomplishing, but even though you find new items in the game, you still have to find the items you lost in the beginning of the game. The newest minor gripe is that some Portals feel useless as some are just to get expansions and such. But again, I might get used to this like I did with Corruption since I haven't completed this 100% either like Prime.

Story Overall 10/10. You know me, I'm not spoiling a thing.

1. Corruption 10/10: Corruption's story is the most immersive one out of three because the voice actors, cinematics, environments, etc. And it actually helps you follow the storyline, unlike the other games.

2. Echoes 10/10: Echoes' story is considered the darkest of the three (the "Majora's Mask" as IGN puts it). I like how suspenseful it gets each time you meet with Dark Samus.

3. Prime 9/10: The storyline here is well told in the beginning, but from then on, there's not much to it except for the major battles in the end.

Sound Overall 8/10.

1. Corruption 9/10: I noticed the sounds seem a little down in the volume compared to the original Corruption even when the volume is set on high, but overall it's still the same enjoyable yet tiresome music.

2. Echoes 8/10: Like Corruption, the sound is enjoyable, yet tiresome.

3. Prime 8/10: Also like Corruption, the sound is enjoyable, yet tiresome, but instead of it coming from the enemies, it comes from the levels. For example, the Magma Underworld ("tick-tock, tick-tock, tick-tock").

Graphics 8/10.

1. Corruption 9/10: Compared to the other games, Corruption has the most incredible texture detail by far, and it still runs in a smooth 60 frames-per-second. Compared to original, the visuals have slightly a more noticable difference, though many might not see it. However, even though Retro Studios have said themselves that the door-loading times have been reduced, it doesn't seem the case in this game. I still had to wait 30 seconds before the door could open, and that was only at the beginning in this version.

2. Prime 9/10: The graphics in this game are incredible, especially the Phedara Drifts level. However, it could use a little more detail like Corruption. The good thing though is that in this, and Prime 2, the door-loading isn't a hassle like in Corruption.

3. Echoes 7/10: The only parts that have great graphics are the Light Aether side. IGN has said that Retro made Echoes's graphics far different than Prime and Corruption, but they should've stuck with whatever they used for the other games. Dark Aether's levels are dark (of course), but they are so dark, that I couldn't see some enemies and I got lost a lot. Plus, I expected Dark Aether to be a total new planet, but instead it's a dark mirror of Aether (hence the name "Dark" Aether).

Games Overall:

1. Corruption 10/10: Still the best Metroid game out of the three, in my opinion.

2. Prime 10/10: The revolutionary Metroid game gets the best out of the revolutionary control scheme of Corruption.

3. Echoes 8/10: This unforgivable, challenging, and frustrating game out of the three gets the benefit of the doubt.

Echoes' Multiplayer 8/10. The graphics are well done, there's much variety for replayability, but sadly, it's not online and you can't play with CPU enemies.

Trilogy Overall 10/10. As you could probably tell, I'm more biased towards Corruption than the other two games. The reason being was that I was hoping/expecting Prime and Echoes to be improved to almost being exactly like Corruption in everyway because Corruption was so fantastic, even though it does have its downsides like the other two games. Of course, nobody can have his way all the time, but otherwise, Prime and Echoes were excellent the first time through and I want to complete them 100% on every difficulty. There's much more content to unlock, many more areas and items to find, and there's multiplayer. This gives many reasons for replayability. Again, I can't expect hardcore Metroid Fans to be thrilled to be play these games again, but it's worth a look for those wanting to try this, and for those who are new to the Metroid Universe as I am.

Since this review was the longest, I'm taking a long break from reviews for a while. I hope you mananged to get this far. If not, oh well.

Btw, if anyone wants to exchange Friend Vouchers for Friend Credits to unlock bonus content, check my article in the "Wii Online" section.

Last edited by Jaques7Chef on Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:00 pm; edited 2 times in total

Back to top Go down

Metroid Prime Trilogy Review (WARNING: Long Review) Empty Re: Metroid Prime Trilogy Review (WARNING: Long Review)

Post by Permafry_42 Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:03 pm

great review. my question is this: how is it 10/10 when none of the games were rated 10/10?
Permafry_42
Permafry_42
Wii
Wii

Back to top Go down

Metroid Prime Trilogy Review (WARNING: Long Review) Empty Re: Metroid Prime Trilogy Review (WARNING: Long Review)

Post by Guest Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:18 pm

Permafry_42 wrote:great review. my question is this: how is it 10/10 when none of the games were rated 10/10?

Oops, I forgot to do an overall review of each game. Thanks for reminding about that. Now I'll have to change it again, lol.

But, if you want a reason why it's not an average score, it's just my overall honest thought of the package. I don't do averages.

Back to top Go down

Post by Permafry_42 Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:42 pm

Jaques7Chef wrote:
Permafry_42 wrote:great review. my question is this: how is it 10/10 when none of the games were rated 10/10?

Oops, I forgot to do an overall review of each game. Thanks for reminding about that. Now I'll have to change it again, lol.

But, if you want a reason why it's not an average score, it's just my overall honest thought of the package. I don't do averages.

thanks albino! just was wondering. still think that's it's a great review.
Permafry_42
Permafry_42
Wii
Wii

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:20 pm

Permafry_42 wrote:
Jaques7Chef wrote:

thanks albino! just was wondering. still think that's it's a great review.

I changed it, and thanks! Very Happy If you want to exchange Friend Codes, my code is on my YouTube channel of the same name. Or check out my topic in the "Wii Online" section exchanging Friend Vouchers and Credits for these games.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jade789119 Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:02 pm

good review Razz didnt read it all to long lol but you warned me
Jade789119
Jade789119
Next Gen
Next Gen

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:50 pm

Jade789119 wrote:good review Razz didnt read it all to long lol but you warned me

lol, yes I did, lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Jade789119 Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:11 am

for the price its 27/ 10 lol
Jade789119
Jade789119
Next Gen
Next Gen

Back to top Go down

Post by Permafry_42 Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:08 am

Jade789119 wrote:for the price its 27/ 10 lol

more like 28.7/10 (sorry, but incorrect math is a pet-peeve for me albino)
Permafry_42
Permafry_42
Wii
Wii

Back to top Go down

Post by LastRambo341 Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:15 am

Excellent review, long but well-made
LastRambo341
LastRambo341
GameBoy
GameBoy

Back to top Go down

Post by SoaringDive Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:59 am

Permafry_42 wrote:

No, it's OVER 9000!!!!!/10
SoaringDive
SoaringDive
GameCube
GameCube

Back to top Go down

Post by Permafry_42 Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:41 am

soaringdive wrote:
Permafry_42 wrote:

Metroid Prime Trilogy Review (WARNING: Long Review) Over9000
Permafry_42
Permafry_42
Wii
Wii

Back to top Go down

Post by SoaringDive Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:44 pm

I call dibs on the New Super Mario Brow Sii review I guess.
SoaringDive
SoaringDive
GameCube
GameCube

Back to top Go down

Post by nintendorocks Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:41 pm

don't worry about the long review i just skip to the scores anyway im yet to see this game get below 9
nintendorocks
nintendorocks
NES
NES

Back to top Go down

Post by Jade789119 Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:12 pm

soaringdive wrote:
Permafry_42 wrote:

haha figured out what that is today lol
Jade789119
Jade789119
Next Gen
Next Gen

Back to top Go down

Post by Permafry_42 Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:50 pm

Jade789119 wrote:
soaringdive wrote:
Permafry_42 wrote:

haha figured out what that is today lol

rofl took you long enough albino
Permafry_42
Permafry_42
Wii
Wii

Back to top Go down

Post by Phi1Pill Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:08 pm

I dont think anyone needs a review to know that this game is just plain awesome.
Phi1Pill
Phi1Pill
GameBoy
GameBoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:36 am

Phi1Pill wrote:I dont think anyone needs a review to know that this game is just plain awesome.

Well I haven't played the 1st two games which is why I wanted to do this review.

Back to top Go down

Post by SpaniardGamer Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:32 pm

Seriously Jaques, you really need to work for IGN or something.
SpaniardGamer
SpaniardGamer
SNES
SNES

https://www.youtube.com/user/SpaniardGamer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down