The Wii Network
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Guilty Gear XX Accent Core Review

2 posters

Go down

Guilty Gear XX Accent Core Review Empty Guilty Gear XX Accent Core Review

Post by Godwind Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:02 am

Guilty Gear XX Accent Core is a 2D fighting game, part of the Guilty Gear franchise. There is a great deal of 2D fighting games to come out, even today. While it isn’t surge that it was in the 90s, the majority of them that come out today happen to be obscure or licensed games that no one really cares about. Most of them you can have a bit of fun with and some are just god awful. The Guilty Gear series happens to be those top tier games within the genre and it has a lot to show for it.

Whenever someone tries to tell you that the Wii has poor quality graphics, just pop this game into your system and that will shut them up. This game is one of the most detailed 2D games ever made. Everything is drawn to most obscure ripple in their clothes. Every shading and lighting is drawn spot on. Trying to explain how good this game would not do justice for it. Even posting a picture would be a little silly. It is something best seen in motion while playing the game on your television screen.

The music is unique compared to other games. It uses a heavy metal themed music. Like the graphics, it is another feature that really pops out. It would probably be in your best interest to buy the soundtrack for your MP3 player. I did and it is totally worth it. However, a lot of the music is reused from some of the older games. But it is hard to trump an already good sound track but it does come off lazy not to add more to a new iteration.

It is hard to describe the roster of characters this game offers, some are cute, bad, disturbed, creepy, and et cetra. If for every adjective in the English language, there is a character that fits uses that adjective. From the slick Johnny to the psychotic Faust, there is at least one character you can love. To simply hate the roster offered should question whether you’re humane or not.

The most important question is the gameplay. A fighting game without a gameplay would be meaningless. In short, Guilty Gear XX Accent Core delivers a rock solid experience. Let me get this out of the way, if you don’t own a Classic Controller or an arcade stick, buying this game is pointless. It should also be noted that it should be expected that you own a classic controller anyways. Most of the moves are pretty standard of 2D fighting games. Special moves use the standard quarter circle combination, block by pressing backwards on the gamepad and all of those features. There are points that do make it stand out. Unlike most games that use straight up weapons or unarmed combat, Guilty Gear features both; Buttons for performing a punch, a kick, a “slash”, a “heavy slash” and to perform “dust”. It is an idea that is not only interesting but works seamlessly well. Then there is some of the crazier stuff such as force breaks and along with other crazy techniques. As much fun as there is to playing Guilty Gear, it isn’t addicting. It is a strange taste for a fighting game. This is an important missing feature because fighting games are inherently repetitive. Trying to fully enjoy a repetitive experience for more than 4 hours dies quickly.

Trying to decide where this game lies in quality is hard. Everything this game does is done right. But it is hard to drop fifty dollars for this game. I picked up this game new for $19.99 and have no regret for it. I picked up a classic controller long before buying this game. It should make sense considering that Wiis should be packaged with Classic Controllers, a fault on Nintendo. In addition, it seems like a straight out arcade port lacking a lot of meat for the package. There is no online mode which should be expected for fighting games, even if it is as simple as a leader board. I highly recommend picking up this game , it is just a question whether it should be a rent or dropping a full retail purchase.

Score 6.0

Godwind
NES
NES

Back to top Go down

Guilty Gear XX Accent Core Review Empty Re: Guilty Gear XX Accent Core Review

Post by Kamina#1 Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:24 am

I only have problems doing massive combo's.its so hard
Kamina#1
Kamina#1
NES
NES