The Wii Network
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Extract the Extraction. Dead Space: Extraction Review

+5
Jade789119
sikokiller
SiLeNtDo0m
FaytSaratome
LastRambo341
9 posters

Go down

Extract the Extraction.  Dead Space: Extraction Review Empty Extract the Extraction. Dead Space: Extraction Review

Post by Guest Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:55 am

I've only played a snippet of the original Dead Space for PS3/360, and it scared the heck out of me, but I never got to go through the entire game. This game was a one of those I call "missed oppurtunity" games that should have been on the Wii just as well. A year later, that oppurtunity came true.

When I heard Dead Space: Extraction was exclusively for the Wii only, my heart leapt for joy because the developers seem to have a change of heart towards the very underestimated Wii. (Of course, I'm exagggerating there.) I didn't care if it was a rail-shooter or not (I don't normally play those unless you count arcade ones); Wii owners were now getting one of the most original high-rated franchises that it was enough to make "some" people (fanboys) complain about how the developers "should've made this for 360/PS3 too!" I've got two words for you "some" people: too bad.

"Some" people have been bashing this game before it came out saying, "Wii boys get a toned-down, on-rails spin-off that's not even a real Dead Space game! HA!" While it is an on-rails shooter, it's a pretty darn good one that I would consider it to be the best on-rails ever made on the Wii (even though I haven't played any on-rails until this game).

Now let's take that ridiculous statement and turn it around, shall we?

Story/Campaign 10/10: Apparently, "some" people don't know the difference between a "spin-off" and a "prequel." The latter is what Extraction is: a prequel to the original Dead Space. You want to know what happens in the story? Find out for yourself, DS fans, because I'm not spoiling anything, except that it does capture the original horror that the first game had, just in a different perspective...and there may be even Dead Space 2 hints somewhere in the game, no? Wink

Graphics 10/10: I've only had one freeze-up so far, but after Wii Update 4.2, the game has been working very well, and it runs very smoothly. The graphics remind me of the GC Rogue Squadron games (which I still have). The textures are beautiful, the animation is fluid, space is scary. This is not a toned-down port at all, as "some" people would say. This is what a real Wii game should be made like from the ground up.

Sound 9/10: The character voice acting is well done, but the music could use a tiny bit more work. Sound effects are satisfying as well.

Controls 10/10: You can use either the Wii Zapper, or the Wii+Nunchuck. Both work extremely well with no lag, waggle, or any aiming detection errors. Keep in mind, there is no control customization like The Conduit has.

Gameplay 10/10: Yes, it's an on-rails, and a pretty darn good one. This is not your typical "arcade-style" on-rails. You don't just shoot enemies from room-2-room, you have to be be quick on your feet and think strategically with the weapons you have, because one slip up and it will be over in a flash. The game will allow you some times to move freely by yourself, but only for an instant. Multiple paths, secret areas, 4 weapon slots were you can switch weapons at any time, weapon upgrades, bonus collectables, bonus material, 4 difficulties, co-op, and a challenge mode. Oh, and did I mention this game has tough boss battles?

Multiplayer 8/10: Reason being? Challenge Mode levels, where you compete for high scores, are short. But the good news is drop in/out 2-player co-op. Sadly, no online. Sad

Overall 10/10: Replayability is definitely a must for this. As said before, unlockables, collectibles, multiple paths, secret rooms, hidden areas, bonus material, upgrades, co-op, 4 difficulties, challenge mode, etc.

Before I end this review, let me say 3 more things:

1. Let's rephrase the ridiculous statement that "some" people said from above:

"'Dead Space: Extraction' is a real great on-rails prequel that is exlusively made for the Wii from the ground-up that Wii owners can enjoy for themselves." Now wasn't that easier to say?

2. Don't just take my word for it:

http://g4tv.com/games/wii/57220/Dead-Space-Extraction/review/

3. Check out my Conduit and Metroid Prime 3: Corruption reviews while you're at it. Metroid Prime Trilogy is next.

Enjoy if you decide to buy Dead Space: Extraction! Very Happy

Last edited by Jaques7Chef on Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:36 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Extract the Extraction.  Dead Space: Extraction Review Empty Re: Extract the Extraction. Dead Space: Extraction Review

Post by Guest Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:01 am

"Some" people = fanboys, btw.

Back to top Go down

Extract the Extraction.  Dead Space: Extraction Review Empty Re: Extract the Extraction. Dead Space: Extraction Review

Post by LastRambo341 Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:54 am

Excellent review ! But you said that the music needs work, that doesn't deserve a 10 Razz
LastRambo341
LastRambo341
GameBoy
GameBoy

Back to top Go down

Post by FaytSaratome Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:14 am

How ya think Resident Evil Darkside Chronicles will fair against DeadSpace? Two awesome series, both rail shooters.
FaytSaratome
FaytSaratome
Next Gen
Next Gen

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:39 am

@LastRambo
I stand corrected.

@FaytSaratome
I'm not a big fan of the RE series, but if I were to compare the games if I was a fan, I would say both games would fair equal to each other. Probably more people would buy RE than DS, though.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:40 pm

Btw, this game is rated M+17 so you will have to show your ID in some gaming store if you decide to buy it. Happened to me at GameStop plenty of times when buying M games.

Back to top Go down

Post by FaytSaratome Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:36 am

Jaques7Chef wrote:Btw, this game is rated M+17 so you will have to show your ID in some gaming store if you decide to buy it. Happened to me at GameStop plenty of times when buying M games.
Luckily I'm good friends with my GameStop. No need for an ID.
FaytSaratome
FaytSaratome
Next Gen
Next Gen

Back to top Go down

Post by SiLeNtDo0m Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:27 am

It's great to see this game getting great reviews even though it is on rails. Let's just hope that Darkside Chronicles can also live up to the high on rails standards on Wii.

And finally nice review =)
SiLeNtDo0m
SiLeNtDo0m
GameBoy
GameBoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:59 pm

I've actually encountered a couple more glitches in the game (total: 3 minor glitches), but they went away real quick when I did the levels again. You will experience VERY few minor glitches sometimes unexpected, but just let them be and they'll go away in a flash. For example, if you encounter a sound glitch, just let it be and it will go away (happened to me one time at the end of the campaign). If you somhow get trapped (I kept getting whacked by an enemy way off-screen and the game would not let me go on unti I killed it, but I had to let it kill me), either reset or let it be depending on your situation.

And this game does have checkpoints, so don't worry about having to start over when you die.

Back to top Go down

Post by sikokiller Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:17 am

wow you gave everything a 10 except 2 which are 9,s lol
sikokiller
sikokiller
SNES
SNES

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:19 pm

sikokiller wrote:wow you gave everything a 10 except 2 which are 9,s lol

Surprised? This is what developers should do with the Wii when they get it right. Extraction is by far, to me, a true 3rd party masterpiece, even above The Conduit.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jade789119 Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:03 pm

only thing that turns me off is its a rail shooter
Jade789119
Jade789119
Next Gen
Next Gen

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:17 pm

Jade789119 wrote:only thing that turns me off is its a rail shooter

You should at least rent it. To me, this games makes you forget you're in a rails because the story is so addicting, suspenseful, and immersive. This is actually my first rails, unless you count original arcades.

Back to top Go down

Post by SpaniardGamer Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:22 pm

That was a great review, Jaques. I'm a take your word and try it out and see how I think of it (though I won't do a review, haha).
SpaniardGamer
SpaniardGamer
SNES
SNES

https://www.youtube.com/user/SpaniardGamer

Back to top Go down

Post by resident2011dark Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:41 pm

Now I wouldn't necessarily give it a 10/10, but rather and 8.5 (a rather high score for games THESE days). From purchasing the game to beating, it was a thrill, though I do admit I wish it wasn't a rail shooter (though it is a great one). Nevertheless, it was a great game!
resident2011dark
resident2011dark
GameBoy
GameBoy

Back to top Go down

Post by boricua Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:10 pm

im gonna buy it cuz of the price drop
boricua
boricua
Nintendo DS
Nintendo DS

Back to top Go down

Post by BlooLegend Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:34 am

Great review for this game. It really is unnderrated just because its a rail shooter. It is a scary cinematic game that every "hardcore" wii owner should have
BlooLegend
BlooLegend
GameBoy
GameBoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down